Sunday, February 7, 2010

He Lives!

Where has the winter gone? I am quite ashamed to say that I have ridden Brego a total of three times since the new year. But each time, he is relaxed and fun and as smart as ever. The boy remembers everything, and unlike last year, I am not worried that we will be behind once Spring truly arrives. We will do just fine, with maybe some special care taken to conditioning.

A terrible photo, but not a bad ride, considering...

I've been battling a virus myself, so getting back in the saddle today was a good test of my own abilities. We went across the street to the indoor for the first time this season and did some walk/trot/canter. Nothing too crazy. We finished with some nice simple changes. Brego is definitely not as strong as he was at the end of last season, lurching a bit into the canter, carrying himself a little low, but his brain was sharp and his overall fitness was good. No heavy breathing, no sweating, soft jaw, plenty of go. He really is so much better since his Lyme treatment, both mentally and physically.

Only a couple more months until we begin our training for real. Hopefully, we will get some snow to cover the frozen ground and we can continue our fun rides. He's been doing well with skijoring practice, but no photo evidence exists, unfortunately.

Until then, we'll just muddle through and every ride this winter will be a gift.


15 comments:

Stacey said...

Hope you feel better soon Daun! I am looking forward to when you guys go back to serious work :)

SoraSoul said...

So nice to hear from you again. I've been needing a Brego update =)

I haven't ridden at all since the new year (Minnesota) so you are doing better than me!

Hope you feel better soon!

tangerine said...

I feel your pain, I'm sick and it's too muddy here (rather than too snowy like it looks up there) to do ANYTHING constructive. Good for you to get out there and attempt being active even in not the best conditions :D

sally said...

Its lovely to hear from you and Brego ....and nice to hear you are getting a few rides in amongst all your winter weather. We are experiencing the complete opposite here in New Zealand .....hot muggy weather with sunburn and flies the major issues. Wont be long and you will be in the season of spring!!!!

lopinon4 said...

Woohoo! We will get skijoring pics??? :)

So good to have you back. You know, many of us, even the quieter ones...we really missed you and Brego. Glad you're back on track! Hugs to you, and hugs to Brego!

Amanda said...

I think I have only ridden a handful of times since the new year, and I don't have access to an indoor! I really can't get much real "work" done - and my mare is a little green, to boot... but I enjoy each ride and it's good for my soul, so I don't fret too much. :)

Serena said...

WOW he has a gorgeous neck!!! :)

Jean said...

Whoops...did I miss something? Brego was treated for Lyme? That could explain a lot.

Hope you feel better yourself. Viruses take a long time to get over and there's not much you can do except rest and wait.

There seems to be a "not much riding this winter" syndrome going around. A lot of bloggers are mentioning it and even my non-blogging horse friends seem to be affected. AS long as Brego looks as good as he does in that picture, you're going to have no trouble at all getting back into the swing of things once the season starts to change. And think of all the fun you're going to have getting fit together again!

JeniQ said...

Hi Daun! Nice to hear you and Brego are doing good. Can't wait for spring to get here, snow riding can be fun once or twice.. but not all winter.

Sarah said...

Hi Daun! I wandered on here to see what you and Brego were up to. :) Don't feel badly, I've only ridden 8 times since Jan 1, and those were just crazy hacks through the local trails. I can't wait until spring hits, mud season passes (hopefully it will this year!) and we can get on with conditioning. :)

Moose1120 said...

It's great to get an update, i've only ridden once since the new year.

leap said...

Hi Daun, McFawn here. Love to hear more updates about you & Brego. I haven't bought a horse since my horse (Fancy's) death, but I am leasing not one but two Perch crosses (one a TB cross, the other a Paint cross and looks purebred Perch).

I've never worked with anything slightly drafty (my history is with TBs/Arabs) but I am loving these two. What lovely gaits! What great minds! What cool baroque style and great work ethic. So I'd love to keep hearing about you and Bregs now that I have my own Perch experience.

Daun said...

Hey McFawn, nice to hear from you! Not too much to report, still snow on the ground. I hope to start regular riding again at the end of this month.

I am excited to hear about your prospects!

Pramod Negi said...

I liked it so much and very interesting, too! Thanks for sharing the experience.
Wonderful post, really great tips and advice. I was interested by your comment,
sydney Holiday Packages
Cheap sydney Holidays

kevin21 said...

Gray Jacket

Moncler Jackets Sale

Coat Women Ziper