Sunday, August 7, 2011

Brego Update - August 2011

At the gentle urging of some readers, I have come out of hibernation to give a quick update on the Big Brego. Brego continues to improve, and at a ripe old age of 9, is really hitting his prime.

Warm up fence before stadium - Snowfields HT, Maine


On the show scene, he has been in the ribbons at every show, schooling and recognized, and just finished his USEA Novice debut in Area 1 in second place, 1 point off the leader. He truly loves to ride across country, but his gallop stride is not quite effortless so Novice is where we shall stay for a long while. Area 1 is quite competitive and the questions are often max height and width, so plenty of excitement. He can make the time without truly stressing his body and the 2' 11" heights allow for rider errors. Of which there are plenty. Rider errors, that is. As has become apparent in the last year, Brego surpasses me in talent, so Novice is a nice place for me to take lessons and hone some much needed skills. :)


Fence 19, Novice Course. Who is more tired, rider or horse? :)


As an extracurricular activity, this year Brego will be a regular whipper-in horse for my hunt. He possesses a keen hound sense and, while not bottomless, certainly has the ability to stay with our drag pack. He is also steady to obstacles and with excitable horses, so he is dependable as a lead.

Brego's versatility and generally enthusiastic attitude is a huge portion of our success. He absolutely loves his job, he loves to jump and he loves to ride to hounds. He is literally bursting with excitement when we go out on course or in the first gone away. In this way, I am truly lucky, because no amount of training instills love into a horse's heart. I get asked often how I get him to do the things he does. I do not "get him" to do anything. He loves to do it. I just hold on for the ride.

21 comments:

Now That's A Trot! said...

Thank you for the update. I miss hearing about Brego regularly!

Jeni said...

Yes, thank you so much for the post! You and Brego are an inspiration to me in my work with my draft Rosie.

SunnySD said...

So cool hear what you and the big guy have been up to - thanks! I, too, miss hearing about Brego's outings and antics :)

Andrea said...

We all miss hearing about you guys!

Wiola said...

Hellooo Backkk!! :):)
He looks fab over the jumps :)

Jayne Austen-Healey said...

Thank you so much for the update! Mick and I have wondered and worried about you! Both of you look and sound great.

My son just got a second in BN at a mini yesterday. He rode same horse to Pony Club nationals in a Pas de Deux I choreographed.

Mick learns more everyday. Does well in hand. on lunge and long lined. He is looking for a young rider. He wil always be mine though!

I am thrilled that Brego is to enjoy whipper in. My fav-a PercheronXAppy had the same job.

May the wind be at your back!

Marissa said...

Thanks for the update! Your horse is truly one of a kind. What a gem.

Funder said...

A Brego update! Yay!

Val said...

I love the last line. Would like to hear more about Brego.

Linda said...

Yay....some more news about Brego. I've missed hearing about him. so glad you're back. I hope we'll hear from you regularly again.

Kelly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kelly said...

Hello, Qwyn my 4yr old Full Percheron mare has some similar issues to some that Brego has experienced. I have started cantering her on the lounge and to the left she counter canters or cross canters. Any suggestions? Also the swelling in the leg that Brego had/has is it in the hock? Qwyn has a slightly boggy right hock.She is never lame on it but it's always there. Also the stone ouchies, Qwyn is very sensitive on gravel/stones of any kind and I have been considering having shoes put on. she's a bit bigger then Brego 17.2hh and about 1700lbs. I could really use the advice of another Percheron owner! I just want her to be comfortable, happy and healthy.
Also I hope you don't mind I used some of your photos to inspire me and keep me motivated with Qwyn! I am a retired eventer and would like to get back into it with Qwyn. I think Qwyn would be the perfect mount to introduce my niece into the eventing world!! She's still a little too saucy for a novice rider just yet though :)

Any suggestions or advice you could give would be greatly appreciated!

*Sharon* said...

Dare we hope for more blog posts???
We've missed you soooooo much.

thistimedressage said...

HEY DAUN!

I said hi to you on Andrea's blog, then came here and saw your post. So glad to hear from you via the blog!

This is McFawn, BTW. I bought a horse last year (2 years after my TBs death) and he's awesome. I have a blog I am sluggish about updating but maybe I will pick it up again, since your blog is a reminder of what a good horse blog can be.

MARGIE said...

Yippee!!!!!!!!!!!!! You're back!!!!!!!!!! So glad to hear you are both doing so well. I can't wait to hear more and see some pics.

inkeq said...

So happy to hear an update! Brego looks wonderful!

GAIA VINCENZI said...

Hi from Italy =)
what a beautiful blog!
please stay in touch with our show jumping blog: www.iconadeironchi.blogspot.com
and also on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/IDR/133709530041269

hope to see you soon

reginag said...

It's just to post such statement. I find it entertaining.

pet medication

SorryCharlie said...

It is Great to see someone taking advantage of his spunk. I have a 23 year old Percheron gelding, and i wish i had gotten him in his youth. But even as he starts to show some silver hairs, he can Haul that big butt around a barrel pattern, weave through poles like a border collie or teach other linesmen what a precision pattern should look like. Keep up the great work with him!

SorryCharlie said...

It is Great to see someone taking advantage of his spunk. I have a 23 year old Percheron gelding, and i wish i had gotten him in his youth. But even as he starts to show some silver hairs, he can Haul that big butt around a barrel pattern, weave through poles like a border collie or teach other linesmen what a precision pattern should look like. Keep up the great work with him!

Angela Cappetta said...

I love him. My big, childish, 3yo, 1800 pound boy is the love of my life, except when he gets pushy, especially when he knows I have carrots in my pocket. I have to give him a correction or run him, then he's respectful again. Big dummy.