Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Barrel Breakthrough

Third day is the charm, apparently. After three days of schooling Brego over the barrels in the chute, he finally seemed to understand that were not the fire-breathing, horse-eating monsters from the deep he thought they were. He went over them once in the chute today and then after a short flat ride I trotted him down a second time. This was the first time I had ridden him over barrels since he freaked out on Saturday and refused to get 30' near them. He trotted down and calmly jumped them without looking.

So I think this demon is slain.

I set up a coop in the chute yesterday and although Brego looked hard at it, he never refused and did not have the same irrational "barrel" fear of them. So I think he's fine on solid fences again. One less thing to stress about before the show.