Sunday, March 8, 2009

Another Gorgeous Day

I must have done something right, because I have been gifted another gorgeous day. And on a weekend, no less! So in between playing on the farm, Brego and I hit the road. We did more hill work at a walk and trot. Brego's feet have been wet so I am watching his toes for wearing down on the asphalt. He could stand to lose a bit of toe. I left him long through the winter as long as he maintained his concavity. His feet look great, I should get some pictures soon.

Anyway, we came trotting up the hill on our road and ran smack dab into the driving Morgan and his people, out with their sulky (or whatever the two-wheeled cart is called). Brego, I am sure I have mentioned this before, HATES driving and not-surprisingly, he went completely non-linear. I would say nearly logarithmic. I mean, he F-R-E-A-K-E-D out.

I performed an emergency dismount and swung the reins over his head and then chatted with the neighbors while he jigged, levaded, and piaffed at the end of his reins. Good boy never pulled, but I kept my eye on him. We decided we would follow them home so he would "chase" the cart and keep it in front of him at all times.

This worked well until we got to their farm and their minis, literally less than three feet high, came running up across the paddock. Brego snorted hard at these little horse-eating cougars and finally came completely unglued, running circles, running backwards, plunging. I had to use some quick feet to keep the proper distance from him, but luckily, he never bolted or pulled on the reins. My friend in Texas always says the mark of respect from a horse is that when they are running from a cougar, they run around you, not over you. Well, Brego was very respectful as he gyrated around me, but I wasn't taking any chances. We danced together for a bit until I could get him close enough to the minis to actually see them (they were blanketed so looked even more strange than normal). Once he saw them, he instantly relaxed. Flipped a switch. I mean, he did live with minis not four months ago. Cougars no more, Brego lowered his head, sighed big and then started asking me for carrots. Dork.

We stayed a bit longer so Brego could watch the Morgan being unhooked from his cart. Then I let him "chase" the cart as it was wheeled into its spot. He's very brave when something is moving away from him. That's why I call him Bravo. :)

Anyway, it was a fun visit and a good ride. Not too much saddle time, but lots of good mental stimulation and "listening" time.

Riding outdoors two days in a row??? Must be spring...