It's been raining off and on and Brego's feet are definitely soft. After the last debacle with his boots, I was looking for alternatives. We will be riding in a Hunter Pace this weekend and the course will be 12 miles long and fairly rocky. I didn't want him to finish sore, but I also know his feet will be fine with a little more wall growth (he's trimmed short to reduce the winter flare) and some dry weather. I also want to jump him and I didn't want to worry about concussion.
So I need something temporary, optional, non-bulky, protective, yet not restrictive. Hmmmm.
Total trim to finished rasping was 1 hour 20 minutes. It will definitely go faster next time. Since it's still raining, I won't get to try him out until tomorrow. We will do a short dressage ride and then the Hunter Pace is on Saturday.
The nice thing about this option is that it will wear down just like his hoof wall, so as his new wall comes in, it will kindly get out of the way (perhaps with a little help from the rasp). If it is not working, I can rasp it off and there are no nail holes to grow out. Plus, startup cost, plus enough adhesive for four more sets of "shoes" were less than a single pair of steel shoes for a draft. Additionally, it's not bulky so it won't interfere with jumping and it does move with the hoof as needed on impact.
A note on the photos. The flash highlights the adhesive coloring difference. In normal light, you can barely tell it is there.