Saturday, June 13, 2009

On the Mend

Brego appears to be on the mend from his foot soreness. There's been no abscess or other physical manifestation of healing, but he's been more comfortable playing in the pasture. It's been raining and his feet are soft, so he's not rock sound, but he was sound in the arena when I longed him today. In fact, he looked pretty darn good. He was naughty, of course, kicking up his heels on the longe after so many days off. But I think he'll be happy to go back into light work.

Tomorrow, if the rain stops, I will ride him in the arena and then boot him for a ride out. His feet are definitely soft from the rain and I don't want to set back any recovery by riding him over rocks. I can't wait to get back on him and see how he feels. It's been a long, distracting week and I am ready to be with my horse again.


7 comments:

JW.BW said...

I hope it goes well and you are able to have a nice ride!!

Jessi

Kate said...

Glad he's feeling better and hope you get a nice ride!

Andrea said...

"Tomorrow, if the rain stops"... is the new "when pigs fly" phrase. It's been raining here for three weeks!!
So glad to hear he's on the mend. Just keep swimming!

Susan and Becca the Percheron said...

Horse lay-ups can be such a pain!Speaking for myself (and I suspect many other horse people as well) I find that I need a constant reminder that patience is a virtue whenever my horse gets a stone bruise or is lame for some other reason.
I hope Brego is 100% real soon for you and that you two can get back to work.
Also, I hope the rain lets up too!

Strawberry Lane said...

Sure hope that beautiful big guy has a quick mend! Must be great to ride him!

eggb4thechicken said...

My dad's horse recently twisted his shoe off, and trod back down on the nail again, so he's out of action for a while too.
Glad he's getting better!

Love your blog btw. Benny, the above horse, is a Norman cob, probably about the same build as yours. It's great to see the type of horse being so agile and competing so well. Makes me realise how much we let Benny get away with because of his size! :P

Madeline and Remington said...

Glad he's getting better.

Just wanted to tell you how much I love your blog. I bought a draft horse last year (7 yr old brabant gelding) and it's great to see draft horses doing so great in eventing.
We've been doing well in the 18" classes ;)