Thursday, August 14, 2008

Almost There...

Another sunny day and another GOOD day as we approach the show. Brego's leg continues to improve, almost no swelling now, I really need to feel for it.

We worked today on more dressage, working forward and attempting the bendy stretch at the walk. He's starting to get it and, of course, the key is my outside rein. If I can keep it still and appropriate, he will push into the stretch. Otherwise, it feels like a hollow bend.

I still feel like we are both a little rusty. I am not sure what is up with my swinging leg. I will need to talk to my new dressage instructor about it. Otherwise, I am trying not to change too much before the show. I want us both relaxed and comfortable and if I focus on all the things I am not doing right, I think I will get more tense and Brego will start to resent it.

I put together a short video of us today. It's not too exciting, but it at least shows that Brego is still alive and kicking and looking pretty good on that right hind. He is such a good boy and really tries, even when I changed the rules of the game for him. For example, I am really focusing on not letting him drop his inside shoulder after the downward transitions. He thinks it's time to chill in the center of the ring after a canter, because that's exactly how I have ridden him for oh, two years now. So now I am asking for him to keep his track and balance and the game has changed. Good thing he is a quick study!



Dressage Practice - Trot and Canter from Eventing Percheron on Vimeo.


I have another jumping lesson tomorrow. We are going to work lightly, but on accuracy, so I can protect the verticals at the show. I want to make sure Brego gets plenty of rest as we approach the show because his conditioning is not where I want it to be and I don't want his hind end to be tired like it was for the show a month ago.