Sunday, November 16, 2008

Off Topic: Wild Turkeys

I apologize for another turkey post. Last one, I promise.

It's been raining for three days and I haven't made it back to the indoor, so there's not much to report on the horses. Brego seems less grumpy. Maybe he's getting used to the quiet. Brego's leg continues to heal. The gash now looks more like a scrape, still red and exposed, but not really weeping anymore. We took the blankets off my old TB mare and she has definitely been gaining weight, so that is a relief. Hopefully, we can continue the trend before it gets really cold.


Turkeys in the front yard

Roosting on the fence

The turkeys have decided they really like the property. They are almost constantly about, and although I do not feed them, they find plenty to eat in the pasture. There are eleven of them and one Tom that I can identify. They are HUGE. And no, I will not hunt them. I have nothing against it, but since they live here, I consider it entrapment. I plan to raise my own turkey next year and we'll see how that goes. Plus, I don't own a rifle :)





Wild Turkeys from Eventing Percheron on Vimeo.
Hey, at least Brego is in the video.


They have started roosting in my front yard along an old wooden fence. Then, around 8 am or so, they wander back to the pasture and start scratching. They stay away form the horses and Brego is pretty wary of them, always turning to face them. But so far, no challenges or squished birds.

At least the birds like the pasture

Since it is supposed to clear out today, we're going for a ride. I am hoping to make the power lines about a mile away which have snowmobile trails which lead north-south for about 30 miles. They may be too wet in the summer, but once it freezes, they may be passable. I am hoping for conditioning trails in the spring, to do my sets on.

My house also is sandwiched between two state parks, about 3 and 5 miles away. The closest one is not as nice, but it's very easy to get to and I won't have to ride on too many roads. The roads are pretty decent, 35 mph, and I bought reflective vests to wear if we do ride them. The other park is farther and nicer, but I haven't figured out how to get there yet. Lots of time to explore if we could catch a break on the weather on the weekends. Rains all weekend and clears out for Monday, then rains again Friday, rinse and repeat.