Saturday, September 13, 2008

Curbtastic

Another outrageously fun hunt today. Brego was very responsive in his new bit, NOT the waterford baucher I thought I had (and which is likely packed away in storage) but an old 7" straight bar two ring butterfly, complete with curb chain (C in the pitcure). I put the reins on the lower curb setting and it was likely suddenly being called "M'am" by your delinquent adolescent son. Show some respect, boy!

Anyway, I started the ride with the dreaded "snaffle hands", constant contact anticipating the pulling and the running and the fighting. Brego let me know, ever so politely, that snaffle hands hurt with a bit with some curb action and I clued in. So I got out of Brego's face and only stepped in when I needed more brakes. And Brego agreed to be responsive and stop when asked and we all had a fabulous time.

Again, we rode first field, mostly behind the field master and she and I had a blast running and jumping. Brego took on two big coops that only the field master and I would brave and didn't even look twice at them. He was professional and had only one slip the entire ride in very soupy conditions. He seemed to be blowing as hard as the other horses in first field at the checks, but I would prefer if he were a bit fitter. It was unusually warm and humid though, so that might have been taking a toll.

Regardless, we officially joined the hunt and I can't wait until next Saturday.