Sunday, October 19, 2008

Diet Update

Brego's diet has been slowly evolving. I dropped the Rice Bran and added a nutrient-dense light feed. Last time I updated the diet was June 1. So here is the most recent makeup of his diet:

2 parts Triple Crown Senior
(14% Protein, 10% Fat, 11.7% NSC) = $16/bag

2 parts Kent Feeds Omegatin
(15% Protein, 20% Fat, 22% NSC) = $29/bag

1 part Triple Crown 30% protein supplement
(30% Protein, 3% Fat, 9.8% NSC) = $29/bag

1 part Triple Crown Light
(12% Protein, 3% Fat, 9.3% NSC) = $16/bag


[I've posted the rest of this content before, but it is nice to repeat for new readers. I've been wrestling with diet for awhile.]


He gets good quality timothy blend hay, but not free choice (which is a very good thing). I also occasionally give him a few pounds of Triple Crown Safe Starch (11% Protein, 6% Fat, 8.8% NSC) as additional forage. I don't think he needs it, but it's conveniently packaged for trailer rides and shows.

NSC stands for Non-Structural Carbs which is, in general, the main component you are trying to lower in an EPSM-related diet. Conventional horse feeds contain 30% or more. Brego has never shown any symptoms of EPSM, so we are less strict about NSC. Some owners target for 10% or less which is really hard to do with packaged food. There's a lot of discussion about the EPSM diet, and I don't think we have the final answer yet. I believe a healthy diet has more going on than just the NSC count, such as fats availability and exercise level. I basically listen to what Brego tells me and am not afraid to adjust ingredients up and down.

I should note that when I switched to giving Brego monthly Adequan shots, I dropped his SmartPak entirely (Dare I mention that his "blackening" supplement failed to deliver as promised?). So he is no longer getting any other supplements. Besides apples, that is.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just one question. How much volume? Do those parts equate to quarts, or pounds, kilograms, or what. Do you feed that everyday?

If I feed my TB one lb of grain (aka rocket fuel), she is stinking hot.

My Percheron (Molasses) is a different story.

Daun said...

Hello,
The parts do not equate to a specific volume, just a fraction of the whole.

Brego gets 3/4 scoop of the mixed feed twice a day, so about 8 lbs daily. I still can't feel any ribs and as he gets more fit, he seems to have enough energy.

My TB gets about 12 lbs of food a day and is ribby. She is getting older and just does not gain weight. However, even on that much food, she is not hot, which is why I love the high fat/low sugar combo!

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Harley said...

Hi Daun,

I am SO interested in chatting with you. I post on PHN and have a 5 1/2 YO 3/4 Perch that I am jumping, fox hunting and would like to do cross country with. He's Brego's twin accept for color!

I have a training question for you if you have a moment to answer. Email me? harley@cozewith.com

Looking forward to it!!

McFawn said...

Daun,

I realize this is Brego's blog, but is there any info about your older TB besides the mention on the sidebar? I'm interested in your relationship with her as well as with Brego...perhaps a Daun's riding life retrospective post is in order? (If there is one in the archives, I'd love a link)

Daun said...

McFawn,
There's not much information about my TB or my life before Brego on this blog. The focus is, of course, Brego who is far more interesting than a middle-of-the-road adult amateur.

I will work on putting together a post about my riding history, if for no other reason, to show off how cute I was as a kid. I was one cute kid.