Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Getting Into the Swing of Things

Another day, another great ride.  We popped over to the neighbor's outdoor and just worked on the stuff we learned in the last lesson.  After Sunday's ride, I wanted to go easy on the legs and just work on the brain.


Brego has been getting more feed with his hay, as his work load has increased.  He's still a little chubs, but he needs quality energy to produce quality work in the dressage arena.  So I was happy to see that he was way more forward than during the lesson.  We got a nice walk-canter departure both ways (surprisingly, the left was better than the right) and called it a night.  Then a short walk through the woods home and, just like that, a great ride in under 30 minutes.  I love it.

I did take my laptop to my neighbor and showed her pictures and videos from last year when Brego and I were doing much better.  She was very glad to see them and completely impressed with Brego, especially his jumping.  I showed her the 3'3" triple bar picture and she couldn't believe it was the same horse (she did believe that was me riding though :) ).  So now she has raised the bar for us, seeing what we are capable of.  I am excited.

Next lesson is Thursday.

6 comments:

sylvia said...

That picture *is* awesome!!! Glad you had a positive ride!

Julia said...

I love that you allowed her to be somewhat skeptical of Brego until the lesson, and now with the combination of the lesson and some fantastic photos she must realize what kind of horse he is! Hope the next lesson goes just as well as the first!

Kelly said...

Hi I have been an eventer since I was 11yrs old (I'm now 31) I haven't actually had a horse for the past 8yrs. I bought a Percheron filly from a PMU farm a year ago. She is now 2yrs and 17hh. I would really like some advice from someone who has been where I am now. I have heard that its not good to break them until about 4yrs, but I have started ground work in the form of free work in the round pen. I am curious as to which bit would be best for her and should I have her hocks looked at now? there is some puffiness that comes and goes but she's never lame. I attributed it to growing. Anyway I have a strong dressage background as you would know (Eventer) and just really wanted her for home riding not showing. Anyway your insight would be greatly appreciated!

Andrea said...

I love getting back into the swing of things. It's hard sometimes to get a set schedule around all the other things you do, but once you get there and you keep it, man is it ever completely addicting! My day would be completely weird without a good ride.

And that picture.... is..... INCREDIBLE. I think I started following your blog after you had posted that one, because I don't remember it. GO BREGO!


And yes, Gogo and I ARE taking over the world ;)

Daun said...

Andrea, I love that photo. Here's one of us jumping a Big Log which I later found out was 3'6". If I had known it was that big, I would have never done it, but he handled it very well. Room to spare.

Here's a better pic of the size of the damn thing.

Daun said...

Kelly,
Congrats on your filly! That's a big girl! Stacey over at Jumping Percheron is having great success legging up and starting a young mare, you can also ping her.

I think it's a good idea to get rads done before serious work as a baseline, but since she's not lame, maybe wait until she stabilizes her growth. I am not a vet and have no experience with Percherons that young, I got Brego when he was 3.5-4.

As for bit, I would look into the mildest that she will listen to. I started Brego in a side pull bridle and didn't introduce a snaffle bit for several months. I find it very easy to over bit him and instead of getting more brakes, I get a horse way to light in front. We work regularly in a french link loose ring and we do cross country in a french link egg butt. For dressage, as you know, loose ring jointed bits are the best so you can isolate your aids and encourage contact.

I hope this helps, and please ping Stacey for her thoughts as well. She's very experienced with the young ones.