Monday, April 27, 2009

Legging Up

Never one to rest on our laurels, we hit the trails after work today. We headed for the packed road in the next town and did two canter sets up the hill. Brego felt strong and fresh.

On the way home, I had trouble keeping him in the walk. He wanted to move out. Finally, after many corrections, we walked peacefully home.

As we approached the farm, I noticed that my (other, non-horsey) neighbor had placed two logs next to the trail. I had harmlessly mentioned to him about a week ago that it would be fun to jump some logs, you know, while I was riding on his trails through his property. So he found two logs and placed them by the trail for me. Have I mentioned how much I love my neighbors?

I took Brego up and over the log and Brego, formerly known as Mr. Chippy, launched into the biggest, roundest jump from a stride out to clear this little 2' log. Needless to say, I was jumped out of the tack. So I have some work to do, and Brego has made it clear he's ready to start jump training.

And now we just need a few more days of sunshine to get the jumps set up and then we will begin.

I love this horse.


5 comments:

Kate said...

He sounds like a wonderful horse - wish I could meet him! You also have a nice neighbor - lucky you!

Susan Quinn said...

What a trooper this guy is!
My 10 year old 16.3h Percheron mare who I intend to show dressage and maybe even event (if I can put my big girl pants on and muster up the courage to jump) arrives on Sunday. I only hope she's a fraction as wonderful as your Brego. Tell your boy he'll have a secret admirer in South Carolina. He's been an inspiration!
Maybe I should start my own blog when she comes..."The Dressaging Percheron-ess?"

Daun said...

Kate, Thanks very much! He is a special guy!

Susan,
You should totally start a blog! Get the word out on the versatility of these wonderful animals. Good luck with your mare!! Keep us all posted!

Susan Quinn said...

Daun,
I can't begin to tell you how much your blog has helped me with my decision to buy my Percheron (henceforth to be known as Becca until I can come up with a classier name...I'm open to suggestions). I have read alot of your posts and watched your videos and am convinced that his breed is indeed amazing!
Glad you and Brego are here!

Anonymous said...

I have gone through all the old posts (I think), but I am still wondering just how you discovered that the big boy can jump. Can you link to the old posts, or if you have never shared that first aha! ..then maybe you could?

and Susan, if Becca has her own blog, I will be your secret admirer in Alberta. I have a 12-15yo 17.2HH Percheron mare...and we are very inspired by Brego.